Monday, December 28, 2009

Cottonwood Whispers by Jennifer Erin Valent

In this sequel to Jennifer’s award-winning debut novel Fireflies in December, Jessilyn Lassiter and her best friend Gemma Teague have survived prejudice and heartache in their lifelong friendship, but the summer of 1936 threatens to tear them apart yet again. Gemma’s job with the wealthy Hadley family leads to a crush on their youngest son. But Jessilyn’s insistence that he’s no good and that no rich white man would ever truly fall for a poor black girl like Gemma puts them at odds. Tragedy strikes when Jessilyn’s cherished neighbor girl is hit by a car and killed. Things get worse when an elderly friend is falsely accused of the crime, and the only way to clear his name is to put her family’s livelihood in jeopardy. For Jessilyn, this is a choice too hard to bear and she wonders where to turn for answers, especially when an angry mob threatens vigilante justice. Jennifer’s third book, Catching Moondrops, releases in Fall 2010.

My thoughts:
I was not able to read the first book by Jennifer Erin Valent, but reading this book was a surprise!!!

I am more into reading Christian thriller/mystery novels where I have to be left guessing the who-done-its, not Christian romance novels. Christian romance isn't suspenseful enough to hold my attention but this one is an exception.

Cottonwood Whispers has many downsides to it, but it also has enough of an upside that it held my attention until the end, and it makes me anxious to see what happens in Catching Moondrops, to be released in the Fall of 2010. Cottonwood Whispers talks about many true and real issues that many people struggle with and that makes it easier to finally get into. It is a story line that questions God and questions about eternal life. Jennifer Erin Valent doesn't shy away from struggles, she tells it like it is and makes it an interesting read.

Would I have gone out and bought a copy of this book? No. Will I recommend someone to go and buy this book? That depends. If you are into challenging issues and Christian fiction then yes, I recommend you buy this book. If you don't like the challenging issues and struggling with God, then I don't recommend this book for you. All in all, Jennifer Erin Valent show a talent for writing!

~Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book for review~

~I do not receive financial compensation for any of my reviews. I do however from time to time receive complimentary review books to read and post HONEST reviews, positive and negative. The acceptance of a book does not guarantee a positive review.~

No comments:

Post a Comment